Saturday, August 01, 2009

Determination

There is a martial arts teaching that goes something like this:
To become a true master of a move, you must practice it 10,000 times.

  • After 1,000 repetitions you have the basics.
  • After 2,000 repetitions you are really good.
  • After 3,000 repetitions you can perform the move perfectly.
  • After 4,000 repetitions you start to get bored.
  • After 5,000 repetitions you have no interest in the move anymore.
  • After 6,000 repetitions you start to see the move in a different way.
  • After 7,000 repetitions you expand on the move.
  • After 8,000 repetitions you invent new variants.
  • After 9,000 repetitions you have integrated the move into your arsenal.
  • After 10,000 repetitions you no longer think of the move.
We have certainly written many more words in our lives, so if writing a word is the kata we are repeating then we have mastered it long ago. If writing a novel is the kata the I do not think any of us have a chance to master it.

But clearly there are masters of writing, even if they themselves stumble in mid novel. The kata writers are seeking to master is something in between a word and a novel.

When I was young, maybe 7 or 8, There was a patio in my back yard with basketball hoop. It was made of hexagonal patio tiles and they fascinated me. I knew that when I was grown and spectacularly wealthy, I would have a house with hexagonal patio tiles. I was a math nerd. I also had a brother two years older then me, a low growth rate and relatively little athletic skill. I was not competitive at basketball.

In fact I could barely dribble, but that was what I could do, and I wanted to prove I could do it a lot. I also knew that numbers had no limit. So I started dribbling, and counting my dribbles.

It didn't take me long to realize that I could dribble faster than I could say large numbers, so I started saying only the ones place, and only saying the value of the tens place when it changed. one two three four five six seven eight nine ninety one two three four five six seven eight nine hundred one two three....

It also didn't take me long to realize that the lower I dribbled, the faster I could go, And when you're dribbling that low to the ground, the basketball barely moves in relation to it's size, and you could slowly rotate it in any direction just by dribbling offset sightly to that side.

Even dribbling that fast I wanted a bigger record than I could get in one sitting. I had to remember my count from day to day so I tried to stop at round numbers or numbers with a pattern to them.

I still remember the last number I stopped counting at: thirteen thousand one hundred thirty one, or as the mnemonic I used at the time 1 3 1 3 1.

So I guess I know how to dribble, and I also know how to count. And that's probably the closest experience I have to learning something in the style of a repetitive kata.

2 comments:

Mike said...

I liked the martial arts metaphor. However, I'm not sure I'd go with 10,000 novels example.

Instead, I'd compare the martial arts metaphor to writing a single novel...the progression is fairly similar from what I've seen, just increased by a factor of 10 or so. In your first 10,000 words, you have your basic story down. After 20,000 words, you're moving at a fairly good clip, and are excited about a new piece of work.

After about 40,000 words, you may start to get bored with your story--and between 40,000 and 50,000 words is where many people stop. They often question whether their story is truly worth completing.

It's having the determination to go on past that period of self-doubt that allows you to be successful. By the time you reach 100,000 words (or the end of that novel), you are ready to stop thinking about that story and move on to the next. You've mastered that story.

Long response short (too late!), thanks for inspiring some other thoughts for me. Hope to see more soon!

James Andrix said...

Well I wrote this during Nanowrimo, so novels were on my mind. I think your analysis is about right.

Thanks for the encouragement!